This role is responsible for maintaining the company-wide cost accounting system and processes to ensure accurate accounting, recordkeeping and reporting of standard and project costs. The person in this position needs to use their experience and financial acumen to process various inputs received from the business leadership in performing typical month-end closing activities, such as inventory reserve calculations, capitalized labor and overhead, and preparing schedules for external audit review. Additionally, this person is expected to continually drive process improvement and controls for costing to ensure processes and systems are always more efficient and effective.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop cost management system to provide strong internal controls, clearly defined processes, and comprehensive metrics to drive company-wide financial management while ensuring compliance with US GAAP requirements.
- Maintain cost data, including direct labor data associated with manufacturing projects and assure that all data on file are accurate, complete and secured.
- Prepare monthly reports and perform cost reconciliation of direct/indirect labor, material costs and variances.
- Maintain Capitalized Labor and Overhead (calculation of standard labor and burden rates)
- Calculate Excess and Obsolete Inventory Reserve.
- Prepare and analyze the valuation and reporting of month end/year end inventories (Work in Process, Finish Goods, Subcontracting, Purchased Parts)
- Work with Operations to ensure monthly, quarterly and year-end inventory close requirements to meet deadlines
- Work with Operation on planning, preparing and co-leading the annual physical inventory and regular cycle counts to ensure accurate inventory valuation
- Review and maintain system controls and integrity, start implementing internal controls and procedures required by Sarbanes-Oxley
- Collaborate with the team to help explain and present findings of product cost variances versus budget, analyze margins by product family. Identify any trends related to increasing / decreasing cost.
- Maintaining and analyzing various spending schedules such as, scrap, vendor returns, salvage credits and other indirect spending.
- Ad-hoc reporting
The candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance – preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of cost accounting experience
- Minimum of five years of general ledger, month-end close and reconciliation experience in an ERP environment (NetSuite experience desirable).
- Very strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly with Excel
- Technical knowledge of and the application US GAAP, preference to public companies and SOX experience.
- Ability to understand concepts, prioritization, organization.
- Knowledge of business processes and controls.
- Able to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to all levels of the company and outside audit
- Experience in custom/project based manufacturing industry desired.
- Past experience creating or transforming cost systems and processes.